Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Blog #2 - Supreme Court

 The Supreme Court

    In my recent extension of knowledge of the Supreme Court's abilities and history, I was tasked with watching this video and following it up with it's second part. This in depth, yet casual video allowed insight to the world of few, which is the supreme court justices. Coming from a school that had a very big standing in American history, I felt like I had a very solid understanding of the US Supreme Court system. However, those videos have definitely changed a few perspectives that I had in the past in regard to the highest level of court in the country. 

Supreme Court Individuality

    Something that was just taught to me that I could have definitely made the conclusion of in the past is that every single time a new supreme court justice gets appointed they take a new picture with everyone in it. A huge thing that I learned is that every single appeal gets treated with the same amount of weight and seriousness. Whether it be from Donald Trump, okay maybe NOT him, but under the guidelines, everyone is said to be treated equal. That means anyone from CEOs to people making their appeal while they sit in jail for life. Another thing that I learned from the video that, I think, is the most important take away is that everyone in the Supreme Court, at least back when they made that video, walks into a meeting with not only something to say, but everyone gets off only a single thing until everyone has gotten off their something. Justice Clarence Thomas was cited as saying, "Everyone gets to say something once before any one gets to speak twice" during the video which I thought was a very respectable way of going about things, however I feel like that's not the case anymore.

Newest Supreme Court Justice 
Ketanji Brown Jackson



Surprising Perspective Change




One very surprising thing that I had come to find out is that the active Supreme Court Justices usually speak of a three to five month rule. This basically means that for the new justices it will feel like at least three to five months before they come full circle, and they realize that this is their job and can start performing it the right way. This made me really change the way I thought about the Supreme Court because it made me realize that they really do work together as a team. The way that they would talk about each other was really standing out to me because I felt as though there should me a divide between them because of the discrepancy in the political parties. This gave me a new found respect for the Supreme Court Justices.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog #7 - EOTO Technology

 The First Ever Email A lot of people gave presentations, but the one that stuck out to me the most was the first-ever email was sent by Ray...